A Game of Thrones 2
A Game of Thrones 2 Chapter 53 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Ghost leads the Night's Watch to the two corpses (Othor and Jafer Flowers), which are odd: the blood has dried, as if they'd been dead for a while (Sam points out), but there are no other signs of decay. Also, the corpses have bright blue eyes, which is strange.
- As it goes when you find weird corpses in the wood, Lord Commander Mormont wants them brought back to the castle.
- Back at the castle, everyone is giving Jon the stink eye because they know that his father was arrested for treason. Mormont breaks the news to Jon. Then Alliser Thorne makes a joke about Eddard's treasonous ways – or something that passes for a joke up there – and Jon tries to stab him (which we think is a fun punch line).
- Jon is confined to his room in the Lord Commander's tower, but when he wakes up in the middle of the night, he finds that the dead body of Othor is trying to kill Mormont. (Our author calls these undead "wights," which is nicer than our term: "snow zombies.")
- Jon's sword doesn't do much good, but eventually he tosses fire at the wight, which saves Mormont (although it does burn down his tower).