A Game of Thrones
by George R. R. Martin
A Game of Thrones Chapter 58 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Back at King's Landing, Joffrey has his first court appearance as king, which might stand as the textbook definition of paranoid.
- Joffrey demands a whole lot of people come to swear fealty to him. (Actually, that's probably not that crazy: it's just what they did back then.) He makes Janos Slynt a lord (payment for turning on Eddard Stark).
- Joffrey also relieves Barristan Selmy of his role in the Kingsguard. This makes Barristan very angry and he says something about how Stannis may soon be the king. Hmm.
- Instead, Sandor Clegane is made one of the Kingsguard, though Sandor isn't a knight. (Check out Sandor's "Character Analysis" for some discussion as to why.)
- Sansa asks for mercy for her father; and Joffrey and Cersei say that they will show Eddard mercy if he confesses to his crime.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...