The Two Gentlemen of Verona
Cite This Page
The Two Gentlemen of Verona Act 2, Scene 5 Summary Page 1
- The two servants, Speed and Lance appear on stage with Lance's dog, Crab.
- Speed invites Lance to an alehouse (a bar) and then asks how things went when Proteus said goodbye to Julia. Lance says things went fine. Speed wants to know if they're going to get married.
- As the dialogue continues, Speed can't get a straight answer from Lance, who delivers a series of lines that are loaded with silly puns and dirty jokes.
- Lance announces that if Speed won't go to the alehouse with him, then Speed is a "Jew" and not a Christian.
- (Unfortunately, Lance isn't the only Shakespeare character to utter ugly, anti-Semitic remarks, which are all-too-common in sixteenth-century literature. See, for example, The Merchant of Venice.)