The Gift of the Magi
by O. Henry
Jim Timeline and Summary
- We learn from the narrator that Jim – "Mr. James Dillingham Young" – is the much-loved husband of Della. He's poor.
- He also has a nice gold watch.
- Jim comes home to the flat at 7pm – he's always on time. Della is waiting for him.
- Seeing Della's new look, Jim is shocked, and appears unable to believe that Della's hair is gone. Then he snaps out of it.
- Jim gives Della her present, and tells her his shock will be explained when she opens it.
- Della opens the present, finds the combs Jim has bought her for her (now missing) hair, and bursts into sobs.
- Jim comforts her.
- When Della gives Jim his present – the watch chain – he smiles and falls onto the couch. He sold his watch to buy her the combs, he says.