The Gilded Age
Discussion & Essay Questions
Available to teachers only as part of the Teaching The Gilded AgeTeacher Pass
Teaching The Gilded Age Teacher Pass includes:
- Assignments & Activities
- Reading Quizzes
- Current Events & Pop Culture articles
- Discussion & Essay Questions
- Challenges & Opportunities
- Related Readings in Literature & History
Sample of Discussion & Essay Questions
- Review the ingredients for the Gilded Age economy—do the same key ingredients shape our current economy?
- What’s different –what’s the same?
- Do we still rely on the same infrastructure?
- Have the sources of capital changed?
- Is American culture still as supportive of business?
- Does the modern economy have individual “giants” similar to Rockefeller, Carnegie, and Morgan?
- Is the underside of the American underclass still as poor? Are urban and factory conditions still so grim?
- Is it possible to sequence these critical ingredients in terms of importance?
- Could economic growth have been so dramatic without all of these?
- Could one be removed without changing the bottom line?
- Without record immigration rates would the economy have grown so dramatically?
- What if the government had imposed more regulations on business activities?