The Girl Who Played With Fire
by Stieg Larsson
The Girl Who Played With Fire Chapter 2 Summary
How It All Goes Down
Friday, December 17
- Nils Bjurman is in a café, drinking coffee, thinking of Salander with extreme anger. (Flashback.)
- Last year, Salander tattoos the words "I AM A SADISTIC PIG, A PERVERT, AND A RAPIST" (2.4) on Bjurman's torso. Bjurman is Salander's legal guardian.
- (She's one of a minority of Swedish adults under guardianship.)
- Before Salander tattoos him, Bjurman rapes her, thinking her an idiot who nobody cares about. She surprises him by destroying his life. He hates her and plots her death. (End flashback.)
- Blomkvist and Erika Berger, are in the café too. Blomkvist has never heard of Bjurman.
- Erika is editor in chief of Millennium magazine, and Blomkvist is one of her partners.
- Blomkvist has had short-term affairs with many women and a twenty-year affair with Berger.
- Bjurman knows Blomkvist from the news. But, he doesn't recognize him, or know he knows Salander. (Back to Bjurman's flashback.)
- When Bjurman raped Salander last year, she secretly recorded the whole thing and is now using the tape to blackmail him.
- When he decided to kill her, he discovered she has a twin sister. He also found a reference, in Salander's old guardian's journal, to an event Salander called "All The Evil" (2.110), in 1991.
- This led him to discover a hidden police report from 1991, when Salander was twelve. The events detailed in the report (not revealed to the reader yet) led to her being confined to a psychiatric hospital.
- The report reveals the name of a man who must despise Salander in the same way Bjurman does.
- (End flashback.)
- A humongous blond man (we'll call him the blond giant until we learn his name) comes into the café and talks to Bjurman. He's been sent by the other man who hates Salander.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...