The Girl Who Played With Fire
Cite This Page
The Girl Who Played With Fire Chapter 8 Summary Page 1
How It All Goes Down
Monday, February 14 – Saturday, February 19
- About 6:30pm, Salander visits Dragan Armansky at Milton security.
- He tells her if she's here for a job, she can forget it. She says she doesn't need money anymore. She's here to say, hello. Armansky thinks she looks different, like she's taken to stuffing her bra.
- He tells her she's a selfish person who doesn't care about others. She asks if she should go.
- He doesn't care, but if she goes now, she shouldn't come back.
- She learns her old guardian is alive. This hits her like a bomb. She thought Palmgren was dead.
- He had a severe stroke in late 2002. Salander found him and took him to the hospital.
- Salander gives Armansky her new cell number, and says to call if he has any uniquely challenging cases. She stresses that she doesn't need the money.
- Salander drives out to the rehabilitation center and reunites with her beloved ex-guardian.
- When Palmgren asks about her new guardian, he can sense that there's a problem.
- He feels guilty: he hadn't gotten her released from guardianship because he loves her, and was afraid he'd lose her if her if he wasn't her guardian. She feels guilty for assuming he was dead.
- They are both delighted to be reunited. Salander has a personal therapist hired for Palmgren.
- Mia Johansson picks up Dag Svensson from the metro station. He's upset. He hasn't been able to confront a john named Björck who works for the Security Police (Säpo).
- Dag is confronting all the men his book and article will reveal as being involved in the sex trade.
- Mia is excited because her dissertation has been printed and bound. She'll defend it and get a doctoral degree in a few months. Dag gives Mia some bad news.
- Once of the girls she interviewed, Irena P., was found in the canal, murdered. Mia says that she was smuggled in by a mysterious man known as Zala.
- Dag says that a john named Sandstöm, a journalist, says Zala is involved in the sex trade mafia.
- All Mia knows about Zala is that his name evokes terror, and that nobody will talk about him.