The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest Chapter 16 Summary
How It All Goes Down
Friday, May 27 - Tuesday, May 31
- Blomkvist very sneakily goes to Salander's very expensive 21-room apartment (bought with money stolen from corrupt financier Hans-Erik Wennerström in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo). Now that he knows he's being spied on, he's doesn't feel too comfortable at his own apartment.
- He pings Salander, and she directs him to documents Plague hacked from Ekström's computer.
- Blomkvist learns Ekström is being led by Säpo and is trying to have Salander committed to a psychiatric hospital.
- Plague pings Salander and directs her to material hacked from Teleborian's computer.
- She finds "9,000 photographs of explicit child pornography" (16.66). She finds evidence that Teleborian is part of a web of people who trade and share child porn.
- Teleborian never physically touched Salander, but she'd always been sure he was sexually attracted to children.
- Salander had tried to erase his memory from her life, but now she feels she "should have dealt with him years ago" (16.71).
- She pings Blomkvist. He goes to sleep in the wee hours of the morning after looking at the material from Teleborian's computer.
- From Modig, Blomkvist learns that Evert Gullberg, Fredrik Clinton, and Hans Von Rottinger are members of a secret organization inside Säpo.
- Blomkvist calls them "the Zalachenko club" (16.202). (Readers already know it's really called "the Section.")
- At SMP, Berger gets more threatening, sexual emails and realizes she has "a cyber-stalker on her hands" (16.211).
- Meanwhile, Salander's team of hacker friends painstakingly tap Prosecutor Ekström's phone.
- Edklinth and Figuerola begin to break through Gullberg's deep cover and discover he was Säpo.