The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest Chapter 3 Summary
How It All Goes Down
Friday, April 8 - Saturday, April 9
- Modig and Erlander visit Zalachenko in the hospital. He's in a lot of pain from the axe wounds Salander gave him. He says he wants to report that his daughter tried to kill him.
- He says he doesn't know where Niedermann is and claims Niedermann was abusing him.
- Modig asks him if Salander threw a gasoline bomb at him when she was twelve because he was beating Salander's mother, Agneta Salander. Zalachenko denies everything.
- Salander regains consciousness and is able to count to ten. Dr. Anders Jonasson is very relieved – seems he didn't damage her brain when he operated on it.
- Salander remembers being shot and buried alive by Niedermann and Zalachenko. She remembers Blomkvist finding her. She's in lots of pain and isn't sure she's happy to be alive.
- She dozes off and is woken by a nurse named Marianne and a doctor named Helena Endrin.
- She learns that Zalachenko is alive and just down the hall from her. She wishes she had killed him.
- After sleeping fifteen hours, Blomkvist starts writing Salander's story on his iBook.
- Anita Kaspersson, the woman kidnapped by Niedermann, is found alive on Sunday, but Niedermann seems to have disappeared.
- Back in Stockholm, Blomkvist has breakfast with Christer Malm, Millennium's art director, and Malm's boyfriend, the famous actor Arnold Magnusson.
- Malm gives Blomkvist the news about Berger's new job. Blomkvist finds Berger at the office and tells her he's heard the news. He isn't mad at her. But, he wants her to write one last editorial for Millennium on the topic of Salander, Zalachenko, and morality.
Next Page: Chapter 4
Previous Page: Chapter 2