The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Chapter 10 Summary
How It All Goes Down
Thursday, January 9 – Friday, January 31
- Blomkvist has dinner at Martin Vanger's. Martin's dentist and longtime lover, Eva, who lives out of town, joins them. Blomkvist enjoys himself.
- One afternoon, Cecilia Vanger comes over. She tells Blomkvist that she wishes she never heard of the mystery of Harriet Vanger. Her uncle, Henrik, has been obsessed with it forever.
- She wants to see if Blomkvist is obsessed, too. All in all, Cecilia is nice to Blomkvist.
- One morning, Henrik meets Harriet's mother, Isabella. She pokes him with her cane and tells him not to mess around in her business.
- One day, Blomkvist goes to visit Detective Morell. Detective Morell thinks Harriet was killed.
- He thinks she had information about somebody, and that somebody then killed her to quiet her.
- The Detective thinks that, "every police officer has his unsolved mystery" (10.98).
- When he was young, he heard police talk about the unsolved murder of girl called Rebecka. She was raped and tortured. Harriet is to him what Rebecka was to them.
- Blomkvist is scheduled to serve his prison term on March 17th. He thinks about this and pets the cat, Tjorven, who lives around the Vanger property.
- He'll work on the case while in jail. He talks to Henrik every day about it.
- Finally, Berger is un-angry enough at Blomkvist to call him.
- She drives to Hedeby to stay with him. They have dinner together in the guesthouse.
- That same Friday afternoon, Salander is having her third session with Nils Bjurman.
- This time, he asks her inappropriate comments about sex and her sex life. She's sarcastic with him at the end, but mostly maintains her cool.
- Palmgren would never treat her like this. Bjurman will soon be "a Major Problem" (10.147).
Next Page: Chapter 11
Previous Page: Chapter 9