The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Chapter 23 Summary
How It All Goes Down
Friday, July 11
- Blomkvist and Salander look at the pictures of Hedeby, and wonder why Cecilia's in so many.
- Maybe the killer is a now-dead Vanger and a younger Vanger doesn't want the family's secret exposed.
- If that's so, why would the young Vanger allude to the murders by burning the cat?
- Salander quotes from Leviticus, pondering the verses. Blomkvist asks her to recite another, and then another. Suddenly Blomkvist realizes Salander has a photographic memory.
- He tells her his discovery and she gets mad and runs out. Blomkvist finds her sitting on the dock and apologizes for upsetting her. He thinks that having such a memory is a great gift.
- They walk to the church and borrow the key to the Vanger family crypt.
- Inside, it smells like recently burned cat, and they find the blowtorch the cat was burned with.
- The next day, Blomkvist arranges to have Salander do research in the Vanger Corporation archives.
- Blomkvist gets into Henrik's office to look at Henrik's photo albums that he has yet to see.
- There's a picture from the day of the disappearance. In it, you can see Cecilia Vanger and a woman who looks just like her and is wearing the same kind of clothes! It's her sister, Anita Vanger.
- That's who was in Harriet's room! And that's why it seems like Cecilia is in so many pictures.
- He finds another picture. In it is a young man, wearing a dark jacket with a red patch on the shoulder. It's the person Harriet was frightened of at the Children's Day parade – none other than Martin Vanger!
- Blomkvist tries to call Salander to tell her about Martin but she has her phone off.
- At the newspaper, Salander links Gottfried (father of Harriet and Martin) with most of the murders. But there was another murder after his death. Hmmm.
- Blomkvist goes to Martin's. Martin invites him in. He forces Blomkvist into his basement. The basement is a torture chamber/recording studio.
- Martin makes Blomkvist get on the floor. He handcuffs and beats him.
- He puts a chain around Blomkvist's neck and chains him to the floor.
- Martin says he's going to kill Blomkvist and asks where Salander is.
- Blomkvist says she's back in Stockholm. Martin says he knows she's at the archives.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search