The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Chapter 5 Summary
How It All Goes Down
Thursday, December 26
- Blomkvist is totally surprised. He hadn't heard anything about a murdered Vanger.
- Saturday, September 24, 1966. The Vanger family is at Hedeby Island for the annual dinner.
- Harriet attends the Children's Day parade in Hedestad, and gets home at around 2pm.
- At 2:15, a tanker truck turns over on the bridge connecting Hedeby Island with the mainland.
- For the next 24 hours, nobody can get on or off the island, other than rescue crews in a boat.
- Blomkvist correctly guesses that something happened to Harriet during that time.
- The 64 people on the island at the time are all suspects.
- Harriet is last seen by Otto Falk, Hedeby's pastor, around 3pm.
- Blomkvist learns that the cause of Harriet's death remains unknown – because no body's been found.
- Henrik is sure it's murder because: a) even if she'd left the island, she couldn't have survived on her own at sixteen, and then managed to hide for 36 years; b) if she'd killed herself, or had an accident, they would have found a body.
- Somebody must have killed her, not drawing blood, and then driven the body away the next day.
- Salander spends the morning reading Blomkvist's controversial book on blasting unethical financial journalists. She admires his jacket photo.
- Next, she sends an encrypted email asking if she can visit Plague_xyz_666@hotmail.com.
- She then goes to Hans-Erik Wennerström's building, bypasses the security, finds the electrical room, and takes pictures of the electrical layout.
- Back at home, she has a message from Plague_xyz_666, cryptically saying she can come over.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search