The Glass Menagerie
by Tennessee Williams
Amanda Wingfield Timeline and Summary
- Amanda fights with Tom at the dinner table
- She recalls her glory days as a young Southern Belle and wishes Laura had gentlemen callers.
- She is upset at Laura for having dropped out of her typing class.
- Amanda distresses about being on the poor side of things.
- She denies that Laura is crippled and daydreams about her missing husband’s charm.
- She makes humiliating phone calls trying to sell magazine subscriptions.
- Amanda argues with Tom about his reading Lawrence and going to the movies.
- She accuses him of not actually going to the movies, but participating in drinking and other debauchery.
- Amanda refuses to speak to Tom over breakfast.
- She asks Tom to find a gentleman caller for Laura, one that doesn’t drink.
- She calls Tom selfish.
- Amanda makes some more humiliating magazine subscription phone calls.
- She is super excited to find that Tom got a gentleman caller for Laura and obsesses about the appearance of the house.
- She calls Laura out to the fire escape to wish on the moon.
- Amanda gets all dolled up for the gentleman caller.
- Amanda stuffs Laura’s shirt with powder puffs.
- Amanda insists that Laura answer the door.
- She acts all Southern Belle-ish around the two boys and makes them say grace at dinner.
- She sends Jim out to the living room to see Laura.
- Amanda dreams (aloud) about the great times they will all have together.
- She finds out Jim is engaged.
- She yells at Tom.
- Amanda comforts Laura while Tom gives an ending speech.