The Glass Menagerie
Cite This Page
Laura Wingfield Timeline and Summary
- Laura has a tension-filled dinner with Tom and Amanda.
- She remarks that her mother thinks she will be an old maid.
- Laura polishes her glass collection but then pretends to have been typing when her mother approaches.
- When confronted, she admits to having dropped out of her typing class.
- She discusses her shyness and crippled leg and plays the Victrola obsessively.
- She discusses Jim, whom she had a thing for in high school, and his nickname for her, "Blue Roses."
- She sits demurely on the stage getting bathed in light while the others talk.
- Laura flips out when Tom accidentally breaks some of her glass animals.
- Laura hangs out with a drunken Tom and they discuss his movie-going experience.
- She encourages Tom to apologize to their mother.
- She goes out on the fire escape with her mother who wishes on the moon.
- Laura is forced to get dressed up in preparation for the gentleman caller.
- She discovers that the Jim coming to visit is the same one she used to fawn over at pep rallies.
- Laura refuses to answer the door.
- Laura answers the door and then runs away to the Victrola.
- She spends dinner lying out on the couch.
- She and Jim discuss high school, her crippled leg or lack thereof, and his demigod status.
- She discloses that she dropped out of high school.
- Laura asks about Jim’s old girlfriend.
- Laura shows Jim the unicorn, her favorite piece of glass.
- She dances with Jim and they break the horn off of the unicorn; she believes it to be "a blessing in disguise."
- She is kissed by Jim.
- Laura finds out Jim is engaged and gives him the unicorn as a "souvenir."
- She is comforted, silently, by her mother, while Tom gives his closing speech.
- Right on cue with Tom’s line about candles, Laura blows the candles out.