The Glass Menagerie
Cite This Page
The Glass Menagerie Scene Two Summary Page 1
- The screen has an image of blue roses.
- Laura is polishing her tiny collection of glass animals (a glass menagerie – get it?)
- When Amanda approaches, Laura puts away the glass and pretends she was typing on her typewriter.
- Amanda is thoroughly pissed off. This tends to happen a lot.
- Turns out Laura has been playing hooky from typing school and Amanda just found out at her DAR meeting (Daughters of the American Revolution).
- The screen projects a bunch of typewriters, in case you didn’t know what a typewriter looks like.
- Laura gives her excuse: she’s painfully shy to the point of nausea and has a crippled leg that makes her hobble.
- Laura responds to the accusations by...playing the Victrola (a CD player but way cooler).
- The screen says "The Crust of Humility."
- Amanda expounds on this crust – it is the result of not marrying, she says.
- Laura reveals that she used to have a crush on this demigod of high school boys, Jim.
- The screen projects a picture of Jim for us.
- Jim used to call her "Blue Roses."
- Amanda denies that Laura is crippled and daydreams about her missing husband’s charm.