The Glass Menagerie
by Tennessee Williams
The Glass Menagerie Scene Five Summary
- Legend on the screen says "Annunciation." This is a biblical reference to when the angel tells Mary she got pregnant and the savior is coming.
- Tom narrates to us about The Paradise Dance Hall across the street from the Wingfield’s apartment. He says people go there to escape their mundane lives.
- Amanda joins him in the porch while they discuss Laura – Tom has coerced one of his friends into being a gentleman caller.
- When Tom says this, a blast of music hits the audience. Williams is really into this whole drama thing.
- Amanda is all excited and freaks out because she has to primp herself and her house and her daughter for the big occasion.
- Then she harps on the fact that this guy (with the Irish last name of "O’Connor") better not be a drinker, because Tom’s father drank and we all know how that turned out.
- The music gets ominous while they discuss Laura and her peculiarities (you know, the glass fetish and the crippled leg).
- Tom goes...to the movies. Where else would he go?
- Amanda and Laura wish on the moon, accompanied by the screen projection of...a moon.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...