Goblin Market Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- "Goblin Market" was originally read as a moral tale for children. Is it a children's poem? Why or why not?
- Only "maids" and "goblins" ever appear in "Goblin Market." Why are there no men in the poem?
- Why does the poem end with Laura's moral to her children? Is it a satisfying ending? Why or why not? Why might Rossetti have ended that way?
- Why is it important that Lizzie buys the fruit with a penny, while Laura uses a piece of her hair?
- Why can only "maids" hear the goblins?
- Why can't Laura hear or see the goblins after she's eaten the fruit?