The Golden Compass Chapter 12 Summary
The Lost Boy
- When the rescue party stops for a rest, John Faa asks Lyra to ask the alethiometer about Bolvangar's defenses.
- She does and tells John Faa that there are 60 men with wolf daemons and rifles – the Sibirsk regiment.
- Lyra also learns that there's a kind of ghost that's haunting a neighboring village. John Faa brushes this off.
- Undeterred, Lyra tries to recruit Iorek to take her to the next village over.
- Iorek says he'll only do it with John Faa's permission.
- After explaining the importance of what the alethiometer says, John Faa agrees.
- Lyra hops on Iorek's back and off they fly to the village. Lyra feels a little shy because Iorek is so big and powerful.
- At one point they stop and Iorek points out hundreds of witches flying to war in the sky. They better tell John Faa about this.
- The two finally arrive in the village and are met by a man with a rifle. Iorek speaks the man's language. Apparently he thinks they are devils.
- The man directs Lyra and Iorek to a shed, where they find something horrible.
- By lantern light, Lyra sees a child with no daemon. Instead, he is clutching a dead fish. The child has been severed.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...