The Golden Compass
by Philip Pullman
The Golden Compass Chapter 22 Summary
- Lyra is shaken from sleep by Thorold the manservant, who says Asriel has gone mad and taken Roger out on the sledge. He needed a child to finish the experiment.
- Oh, that's what Lord Asriel meant when he said he needed a large jolt of energy. Yikes.
- Lyra realizes she has messed up big-time. She has betrayed Roger, bringing Lord Asriel the sacrificial child he needed to create the energy to build a bridge to another world.
- Lyra runs to Iorek and they set off to follow Lord Asriel's sledge tracks.
- Then Iorek stops. What is he looking at? Lyra sees the Aurora, but Iorek sees something else.
- They're attacked by enemy witches!
- Lyra can hear a zeppelin (Mrs. Coulter alert!)
- The bears fight and the fire thrower takes down the zeppelin.
- Iorek takes Lyra toward Lord Asriel while the rest stay and fight.
- Eventually the two reach a bridge. It's damaged and Iorek is too heavy to cross it. Lyra says goodbye and crosses the bridge alone.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...