The Golden Compass
Cite This Page
The Golden Compass Chapter 23 Summary Page 1
Bridge to the Stars
- Lyra comes close to a meltdown. She's alone, afraid, and doesn't know what to do. But she and Pan soldier on.
- Lyra finally catches up to Lord Asriel.
- Roger is yelling out her name. His daemon is being held in the snow leopard daemon's mouth.
- Lyra sees that Lord Asriel is controlling the Aurora and that he has a witch helping him.
- Pan attacks the snow leopard, and Roger and Lyra manage to get loose.
- The snow leopard gets Roger's daemon, though, and Lord Asriel puts a wire on it.
- They can't run. The cliff slides away beneath them.
- Roger goes limp. As he does, "the vault of heaven, star-studded, profound, was pierced as if by a spear" (23.46).
- Roger is dead.
- All of a sudden, the other world appears. Lyra can see sunlight.
- Then Mrs. Coulter appears. She and Lord Asriel have a love/hate thing going on, and they kiss cruelly.
- He asks her to go with him to the other world. After much melodrama, she does not. She says her place is in this world.
- Mrs. Coulter goes back down the mountain, and Lord Asriel crosses over into the other world.
- That leaves Lyra alone with Pan. What should she do?
- Pan points out that if all these nasty people think Dust is bad, then it's probably good. After all, everything Mrs. Coulter, Lord Asriel, and the Gobblers have done to destroy it is evil and wrong.
- They have to save Dust.
- Lyra decides Pan is right. Together, the two cross over into the other world.