The Grapes of Wrath
by John Steinbeck
The Grapes of Wrath Chapter 24 Summary
- It's Saturday morning, and everyone's worked themselves into a frenzy as they gear up for the dance tonight.
- The dance floor is going to be lit for the first time tonight.
- The camp leaders are getting ready for the potential party poopers—men sent by the Farmer's Association to bust up the party and start a fight. If a fight went down, the police would have a reason to barge in and arrest people, and that is exactly what they want to do.
- This dance needs lots of bouncers.
- Tom is recruited to be a bouncer. Lucky him. He gets to hang out at the entrance with a super cool man named Jule Vitela, who is half Cherokee.
- Tom notices three sketchy guys and does a little investigation. The sketchy guys are indeed sketchy.
- Tom and his fellow bouncers catch the three sketchy guys right before they start to cause trouble.
- Huston, who's kind of like the pseudo-head-of-security at Weedpatch, gives the sketchy guys a talking to, and then the bouncers let them go free.
- Pa, John, and other men of the camp are gathered together to chat about how dire circumstances are these days.
- Pa tells the story of a group of "mountain men" who work in the rubber plants in Akron, Ohio. They formed a union, and the factory owners and townspeople were so mean to them and hated the idea of a union so much that they tried to run the migrant workers out of town. The workers armed themselves with guns and other weapons, and they turned on the town. The town never gave them trouble ever again.
- A man who is known as Black Hat suggests to the group that they form a union and that they start to arm themselves.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...