The Great Gatsby
by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jordan Baker Timeline and Summary
- Nick meets Jordan when he goes to see his second cousin, Daisy, and her husband, Tom.
- Jordan and Nick start hanging out together, in the romantic sense of the word.
- She reveals that she likes Nick because he isn’t careless.
- Jordan introduces Nick to Jay Gatsby at a party they attend at Gatsby’s house.
- Gatsby takes Jordan aside at the party to tell her something.
- We find out that Jordan probably cheated in a golf tournament.
- Jordan admits to being a horrible driver and says she’ll be fine as long as she doesn’t meet another careless person. She’s also a practical girl. And jaded.
- Nick really falls for Jordan.
- Jordan asks Nick if he’ll arrange for Gatsby and Daisy to meet.
- Jordan goes to the city with Nick, Gatsby, Tom, and Daisy, and is present for the showdown between the two men.
- She rides back to Long Island with Nick and Tom and is present when they come upon the hit-and-run aftermath.
- She has an awkward phone conversation with Nick in which they seem to break up.
- Later, after Gatsby’s death, they have a more explicit phone conversation. Jordan confesses that no one has ever broken up with her like that. She accuses Nick of being dishonest and of being a "careless driver."