Nick Carraway Timeline and Summary
- Nick moves to Long Island and begins a job in New York City. He seeks out his distant relative, Daisy, and meets Jordan.
- He has wacky, rich-people adventures, like meeting Tom's mistress and getting extraordinarily drunk.
- At one of Gatsby's parties, Nick meets Gatsby, and waits while Gatsby has a private tête-à-tête with Jordan.
- They have lunch with Gatsby's business associate, Meyer Wolfsheim, and Nick starts to suspect what Gatsby's involved with.
- Nick and Gatsby become friends, but Gatsby is curiously uninterested in meeting Tom.
- After learning the Daisy/Gatsby story from Jordan, Nick agrees to arrange a meeting.
- Nick describes and observes. A lot. Conveniently, he's there during the big showdown at the Plaza hotel, where Tom reveals that he knows about Daisy's infidelity.
- He's also there during the "after" scene, when they find Myrtle Wilson's body.
- In the aftermath, Nick tells Gatsby to get out of town (should have listened) and breaks up with Jordan, which—if you ask us—he should have done a lot time ago.
- (No one ever listens to us.)
- And then Nick gets the fun task of finding the bodies of Gatsby and Wilson.
- After Gatsby is dead, Nick takes care of his affairs – contacting his friends, business partners, and family members, and making the funeral arrangements.
- In the last scene, Nick stands on Gatsby's lawn and ruminates on the past, the present, and the future, and did we mention the past?