How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
by Dr. Seuss
How the Grinch Stole Christmas! Lines 1-30 Summary
Now Entering Who-ville
- This Christmas tale opens with the heartwarming declaration that each and every citizen in Who-ville loves the holidays.
- Sounds like a nice enough town, right? Right.
- There's just one problem.
- Meet the Grinch. You know what he loves?
- Not Christmas, that's for sure. In fact, it seems like he loves… nothing at all.
- For one thing, the Grinch detests all the holiday merriment, which is probably because of his shrunken heart that happens to be two sizes too small.
- So instead of filling his days with caroling and gift-wrapping, the Grinch sits in his cave north of Who-ville and seethes about the Whos' Christmas spirit.
- Finally, he decides he's had it.
- He needs to somehow stop Christmas from coming before all the festivities get underway.
- He just can't handle another Christmas with the Whos acting all merry-like, waking up early and opening presents. Ugh. What a scene.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...