The Handmaid's Tale
The Handmaid's Tale Chapter 7 Summary
- At night, the narrator gets to be by herself. She has to be very still but at least she can think.
- She remembers hanging out with her friend Moira when they were in college, wearing makeup, getting to go out, and drinking.
- Then she thinks of going to a park with her mother to watch people burn magazines. The narrator gets to help, even though she's little. The magazines are porn.
- Then she has a memory blank. What happened? She was restrained, screaming. Someone told her she was not suitable. She saw a young girl with a strange woman in strange clothes taken away.
- The narrator says she wishes this were a story so she could change the outcome. She has to tell it, not write it, because that's too dangerous. She has no audience, so she'll invent one.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search