The Handmaid's Tale
The Handmaid's Tale Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Do you think Atwood's vision of the future is realistic? Why or why not?
- If you were in the narrator's situation, what would you have done?
- What would this story look like if it hinged on male, rather than female, fertility?
- What do you think ends up happening to the narrator? Does she make it?
- How would this book be different if it didn't include the "Historical Notes"?
- Who is the worst off in this society? Is it better to know what's happening, even if you're powerless to change things, or to not even realize the sadness of your situation?
- Why are women forbidden from reading in this society?