The Handsomest Drowned Man in the World
Cite This Page
The Men Timeline and Summary
- Some of the men carry the drowned man from the beach to he nearest house.
- On the way, they notice that he is heavier than any man they've ever seen. They wonder if the water got into his bones, or if maybe he kept growing after he died.
- That night, the men go to the neighboring villages to see if anyone can claim Esteban as theirs. No one does.
- The men return to their village to find their women obsessing over the drowned man.
- This angers them until they see the drowned man's face; then they are equally struck by awe at his size and magnificence.
- They also recognize how embarrassed the drowned man must have been of his size during his life, and they "shudder" at the thought of "Esteban's sincerity."
- At the funeral, the women and the men are aware of the smallness of their village in comparison with the greatness of the drowned man.
- They vow that, from now on, they will work to make their village worthy of Esteban.