Andersen's Fairy Tales Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- Which of the tales deal most directly with questions of religious belief? What other themes do you see emerging in these tales?
- What's a common way for the tales to end?
- In your opinion, are the tales emotional? Do they make you feel lotsa things? Or are they overly sentimental to the point of being unrealistic?
- What are some patterns that emerge in the stories' settings?
- If you had to pick an Andersen tale that describes your life best, which would it be and why?
- Does death always mean an unhappy ending in Andersen's tales?
- Who are some of the most likeable characters in the tales? How about the easiest to hate?
- Do you notice any differences between how Andersen treats, or describes, his male and female characters? If so, what are they?
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...