Cite This Page
Hard Times Book 2, Chapter 3 Summary Page 1
- Tom definitely sees Harthouse as the cool, popular guy, and so is thrilled when Harthouse wants to chill with him.
- Harthouse gets him drunk, gives him a cigar, and then starts to ask him questions about Louisa.
- Tom volunteers every piece of information about his sister – pretty much just to look sort of cool in front of this total stranger.
- Tom reveals:
- that Tom can get away with whatever he wants to because Louisa smoothes it over with Bounderby;
- that Louisa dislikes Bounderby, that she married him without feelings and only so that she could be useful to Tom;
- that Gradgrind raised his daughter to not have any normal emotions and to just try to be as rational as possible about everything;
- that Mrs. Sparsit is jealous of Louisa.