Harlem (Dream Deferred) Questions
Bring on the tough stuff - there’s not just one right answer.
- In your experience, what happens to a dream deferred?
- Why do you think Langston Hughes structured this poem in the way he did?
- Why do you think Lorraine Hansberry took the title of her play A Raisin in the Sun from this poem?
- Why does our speaker answer questions with questions?
- Hughes was influenced by the poets Walt Whitman, Carl Sandburg, Paul Laurence Dunbar, and Claude McKay. Can you detect these influences in this poem or in other poems written by Hughes?
- Do you hear music in this poem?
Next Page: Best of the Web
Previous Page: Quotes