Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Cite This Page
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Chapter 14 Summary Page 1
How It All Goes Down
- After Ron's close call, the school tightens up security even more.
- Ron becomes a celebrity for his near-death experience and he milks it for all it's worth, just like Tai in Clueless after her near-death experience at the mall.
- Sir Cadogan is fired.
- Neville receives a Howler from his grandmother, who rants about how he's shamed the family.
- Harry and Ron get a note from Hagrid and they go visit him.
- Hagrid shuts Ron down quickly and proceeds to talk to them about their treatment of Hermione.
- He basically lets them know that he's disappointed by their behavior towards a friend.
- Hagrid also tells them that Hermione is crazy stressed and busy yet still found time to help him with Buckbeak's upcoming trial, which the boys forgot about.
- But later that night, Hermione overhears the boys discussing how Harry's going to sneak out for the upcoming Hogsmeade weekend.
- She threatens to tell McGonagall and they get mad at her all over again.
- It's Hogsmeade day and Harry is interrupted by Neville as he tries to sneak out of the castle.
- Neville has been banned from the Hogsmeade trip and no one is allowed to tell him the password either; McGonagall was pretty pissed, apparently.
- Then Snape shows up and rudely questions Neville and Harry over why they're loitering in the halls.
- Snape is always rude, though, so that sort of goes without saying.
- Finally Harry shakes off Neville and sneaks out to Hogsmeade, wearing his Invisibility Cloak.
- He follows Ron around and the entire thing is less fun than they thought it would be since Harry is invisible.
- But then they encounter Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle and Harry decides to get some revenge.
- He throws mud at them and they flip out.
- But then the Invisibility Cloak slips and Malfoy sees Harry's head floating there.
- Malfoy runs for it, and Harry bolts back to the castle, trying to get there before Malfoy reaches Snape.
- Harry flies back out of the secret passage, but Snape quickly finds him and drags him to his office for an interrogation.
- Harry tries to lie and say that he's been in the castle the whole time, but Snape isn't buying it.
- Snape does his patented bad-cop routine and also insults Harry's dad, which sets Harry off.
- But Snape reveals that Dumbledore hasn't really told Harry the entire truth about his dad and his connection to Snape.
- To make matters worse, Snape then finds the Marauder's Map, which starts displaying insults towards him.
- But Lupin suddenly appears and breaks up the interrogation.
- Ron also comes flying in to corroborate Harry's story and Lupin leads them off.
- Harry's relief is very short-lived, though.
- Lupin confiscates the Map, saying that he knows what it is, and he shames Harry about his reckless behavior.
- The boys are chastened and head back to the Common Room, where they find a tearful Hermione.
- Hagrid lost his case and Buckbeak is going to be executed.