Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Cite This Page
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Chapter 22 Summary Page 1
How It All Goes Down
Owl Post Again
- Harry and Hermione run like crazy to get back to the infirmary.
- They hide as Fudge and Snape walk past, discussing Sirius's punishment.
- Then they have to hide again when Peeves goes by.
- With only three minutes left, they sprint and manage to arrive just as Dumbledore is exiting the infirmary.
- Dumbledore beams when he hears about their success and he lets them back in the infirmary after he hears that the other Harry and Hermione have left.
- And the time travel shenanigans come to an end.
- Madam Pomfrey storms back in and Harry and Hermione quietly go back to bed.
- Just when things quiet down, they hear Snape approaching in a rage, bellowing about how Potter has done something.
- Fudge and Dumbledore try to calm Snape down but he's pretty much manic.
- He finally storms out.
- Fudge is stressed over Black escaping, but he agrees to remove the Dementors from Hogwarts immediately, given that they tried to perform the Kiss on a schoolboy.
- Ron finally wakes up and asks what he missed.
- Harry and Hermione just look at each other and Harry tells Hermione to explain.
- The next day the three friends discuss their adventures and speculate as to where Sirius and Buckbeak are.
- They go visit Hagrid, who's still thrilled about Buckbeak's escape.
- But then he fills them in on some bad news: Snape told everyone that Lupin is a werewolf at breakfast and Lupin immediately resigned his post.
- Harry rushes off to see Lupin before he goes.
- The two talk and Lupin says that his leaving is the right thing to do. Lupin confessed everything to Dumbledore.
- After Snape's "slip," no parent will want Lupin teaching their kids, unfortunately.
- Before he leaves, Lupin gives Harry the Marauder's Map back.
- Dumbledore comes in and Lupin leaves quickly.
- So Harry and Dumbledore sit down to chat about everything.
- Dumbledore is surprised to learn about Trelawney's other prediction, which he says brings her grand total to two now.
- Two?? We're curious now.
- Harry is upset that Peter got away, but Dumbledore says that sparing Peter was significant: "But trust me [...] the time may come that you will be very glad that you spared Pettigrew's life" (22.3.46).
- Harry also tells Dumbledore about thinking he saw his dad and Dumbledore says that his dad lives on in him.
- So the school year ends and everyone is still discussing that crazy Sirius Black.
- Most kids are upset to learn that Professor Lupin is leaving.
- Exam results come back and Harry, Ron, and Hermione passed everything and – surprise, surprise – Percy got top marks in his exams.
- Hermione drops Muggle Studies so that she can have a normal schedule next year, and she returns her Time-Turner.
- Ron still can't believe she kept it a secret all year.
- The three board the train to head home and spend the trip talking.
- Suddenly a tiny owl appears by the window of the train.
- The owl brings a letter from Sirius, who says he's safe.
- Sirius also says he sent Harry the Firebolt and that the owl is for Ron to keep, given what happened to his old pet.
- Sirius also includes a statement that gives Harry permission to go to Hogsmeade on the weekends, which will be good enough for Dumbledore.
- The gang arrive at King's Cross Station and Harry bids his friends good-bye.
- Upon meeting Uncle Vernon again, Harry mentions that his escaped convict godfather just sent him a letter.
- "And, grinning broadly at the look of horror on Uncle Vernon's face, Harry set off toward the station exit" (22.5.48).
- Way to go, Harry.
- And thus ends another normal year at Hogwarts.