Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
by J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Chapter 3 Summary
How It All Goes Down
The Knight Bus
- Harry gradually calms down and starts to panic – he just ran away from home after performing accidental, illegal magic.
- He's convinced that he's going to be expelled from Hogwarts and starts planning his new life as a fugitive outcast.
- But then he spies a giant black dog, which actually makes his situation worse because the darn dog is huge and scary.
- But then he trips and throws his wand hand out (just wait, it really does get better) and a giant purple bus appears out of nowhere and nearly mows him down.
- No, really, it gets better.
- Turns out, this is "the Knight Bus, emergency transport for the stranded witch or wizard" (3.14). Oh, but of course.
- Stan and Ernie, the Knight Bus crew, welcome Harry aboard. Harry plays it cool and acts like he meant to summon the bus.
- He also tells them his name is Neville Longbottom.
- Harry requests transport to Diagon Alley in London and the bus takes off.
- On the way, Stan and Ernie gossip to Harry and fill him in on the escaped convict Sirius Black, a lunatic murderer and Voldemort supporter who broke out of the wizarding prison Azkaban recently.
- After Harry defeated Voldemort (as a baby), Sirius Black went nuts and blew up a street, killing thirteen people.
- Finally, the bus arrives in London and Harry is welcomed to The Leaky Cauldron by Cornelius Fudge, the Minister of Magic.
- Stan and Ernie are super excited to learn that "Neville" is actually Harry Potter.
- Harry flips out, but Fudge just wanted to make sure he was safe and sound. Fudge assures Harry that he won't be punished for blowing up his aunt.
- Harry finds all this really suspicious.
- Fudge tells Harry that he can get a room at The Leaky Cauldron and can stay in Diagon Alley for the rest of the summer.
- Hedwig shows up, proving how smart she is.
- Fudge leaves finally and an exhausted Harry goes to bed.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...