Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Chapter 12 Summary
How It All Goes Down
The Triwizard Tournament
- The Hogwarts Poltergeist, Peeves, drops a water balloon on Ron as soon as they all turn up at the gate.
- Professor McGonagall (the Head of Gryffindor, who also teaches Transfiguration) comes storming out to escort the arrivals into the Great Hall.
- The annual Sorting is about to begin, when the new Hogwarts students get placed in each of the four different Hogwarts Houses (Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin).
- Harry notices that all of his old professors are there – including his personal enemy, Potions teacher Severus Snape – but one person is missing.
- There is no new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.
- Last year (in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban), the DADA teacher was Remus Lupin, an old friend of Harry's parents and Sirius Black.
- But he had to resign when Professor Snape leaked the information that Lupin is a werewolf. (Oh, that pesky Snape.)
- And the post still (apparently) hasn't been filled.
- The Sorting starts.
- The Sorting Hat – a "dirty, patched wizard's hat [... with] a long tear near the brim opened wide like a mouth" (12.34) welcomes the new students.
- Finally, after the Sorting is over, everyone gets to tuck in to dinner.
- Nearly Headless Nick (the Gryffindor ghost) looks enviously at all the delicious food.
- He lets slip that Hogwarts has house-elves working in its kitchens.
- Hermione flips out and decides that she can't keep eating food produced by "Slave labor" (12.95).
- At the end of the feast, Professor Dumbledore (the headmaster) stands up to make some announcement.
- Apparently, there will be no Quidditch tournament at Hogwarts this year. (What?!)
- A storm is raging outside, which makes what happens next even more atmospheric.
- The door to the Great Hall bangs open, and a man walks in.
- "The lightning had thrown the man's face into sharp relief [...] Every inch of skin seemed to be scarred. The mouth looked like a diagonal gash, and a large chunk of nose was missing" (12.109).
- But even more extraordinary is the man's eyes: one is a regular eye, but the other is "large, round as a coin, and a vivid electric blue" (12.110).
- Professor Dumbledore introduces "our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher [...] Professor Moody" (12.113).
- Everyone is totally dumbstruck.
- Professor Dumbledore continues, "It is my very great pleasure to inform you that the Triwizard Tournament will be taking place at Hogwarts this year" (12.121).
- At this, everyone gets cheerful again.
- The Triwizard Tournament is a competition between Hogwarts, Beauxbatons, and Durmstrang.
- It hasn't happened for the last hundred years because "the death toll mounted so high" (12.127).
- But it's starting up again!
- A champion will be chosen from each of the three wizarding schools on Halloween.
- These three students will have to compete in three magical tasks.
- In order to make this all work, Hogwarts will be hosting students from both Beauxbatons and Durmstrang during the school year.
- There are rules, of course. Because the competition is so dangerous, only students over seventeen can enter.
- And then, with the air still buzzing from this news, Professor Dumbledore sends them all to bed.
- Fred and George Weasley are already planning on how to get around the age restriction (they're sixteen).
- As Ron is falling asleep, he announces, "I might go in for it, you know [...] if Fred and George find out how to ..." (12.158).
- Harry fantasizes that he has gotten in to the Triwizard Tournament, won the whole thing, and impressed his crush, Cho Chang.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Here Be Monsters! An Adventure Involving Magic, Trolls, and Other Creatures; The Ratbridge Chronicles Volume 1 - Learning Guide
Noodle's College Search