Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Chapter 21 Summary
How It All Goes Down
The House-elf Liberation Front
- Harry writes to Sirius about everything that has happened with the first task.
- Ron agrees that Karkaroff might have put Harry's name in the Goblet of Fire.
- Ron lets Harry use Pigwidgeon to send his letter to Sirius – a true sign that their friendship is back on track.
- Back in Gryffindor, there's a huge party waiting for Harry.
- Harry opens his egg to see what the clue could be, and "the most horrible noise, a loud and screechy wailing, filled the room" (21.16). This doesn't sound like the making of a party at all!
- Harry quickly shuts the egg.
- During the course of the party, Fred and George slip Neville a custard cream that turns him into a canary. So the Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes are still going strong.
- Care of Magical Creatures class is still dedicated to skrewts.
- Hagrid tries to encourage the remaining skrewts to hibernate, which they don't like very much.
- As Hagrid, Harry, Hermione, and Ron try to capture the rampaging skrewts (as most of the class cowers inside Hagrid's cabin), Rita Skeeter walks up.
- Rita Skeeter shows a sudden interest in Hagrid and his work.
- Hagrid consents to an interview with Rita Skeeter, which worries Harry, Ron, and Hermione.
- Ron comforts them: "Hagrid's been in loads of trouble before, and Dumbledore's never sacked him" (21.69).
- Harry and Ron laugh their way through Divination class, and Harry feels great about life.
- As Ron and Harry go up to Gryffindor, Hermione suddenly comes up and grabs them.
- She exclaims, "Harry, you've got to come – you've got to come, the most amazing thing's happened –" (21.85).
- Hermione pulls Ron and Harry down into the Hogwarts kitchens.
- Suddenly, a small figure hugs Harry "so tightly he thought his ribs would break" (21.106).
- It's Dobby!
- Dobby has come to work at Hogwarts – as has Winky, Mr. Crouch's former house-elf.
- But while Dobby looks happy and well cared-for, Winky looks miserable.
- Professor Dumbledore has given Dobby a paying job. He's the only house-elf to receive a salary and even time off.
- Winky scolds Dobby: "Winky is a disgraced elf, but Winky is not yet getting paid! [...] Winky is properly ashamed of being freed!" (21.143).
- Winky also lets slip an odd little detail about Ludo Bagman.
- Apparently, Mr. Crouch thinks, "Mr. Bagman is a bad wizard! A very bad wizard! [Mr. Crouch] isn't liking him, oh no, not at all!" (21.165).
- Harry, Ron, and Hermione leave the kitchen wondering about this Ludo Bagman character.
Next Page: Chapter 22
Previous Page: Chapter 20