Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
by J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Chapter 24 Summary
How It All Goes Down
Rita Skeeter's Scoop
- The next morning, Ron and Hermione just keep going on as usual, though "oddly formal" (24.2).
- Harry suddenly realizes that the date of the second task, February 24th, is a lot closer than it used to be.
- Harry thinks Cedric's hint about taking a bath is stupid. (Someone's still resentful about the Cho thing.)
- At Care of Magical Creatures one day, they find a surprise: Hagrid is nowhere to be seen.
- Instead, there's a woman teacher, Professor Grubbly-Plank.
- She gives the students a lesson on unicorns.
- Malfoy proudly shows Harry why Hagrid isn't around anymore: there's an article in the Daily Prophet about his half-giant heritage.
- Most of the quotes about how dangerous Hagrid is come from Malfoy and his friends (of course).
- Rita Skeeter points out that giants are "bloodthirsty and brutal" and "were responsible for some of the worst mass Muggle killings of [Voldemort's] reign of terror" (24.39).
- But what do those facts have to do with Hagrid personally?!
- Neither Harry, Ron, nor Hermione can figure out how Rita Skeeter found out Hagrid's secret.
- Professor Grubbly-Plank is probably a better teacher than Hagrid, but the trio still wants their friend back.
- They go to visit his cabin, but Hagrid won't open the door.
- In January, the students have a Hogsmeade visit weekend.
- Ludo Bagman is sitting in the corner of the Three Broomsticks talking to some goblins, "all of whom had their arms crossed and were looking rather menacing" (24.87).
- Ludo Bagman spots Harry and pulls him aside.
- He offers to help Harry with his second clue again, but Harry refuses.
- He knows that Ludo Bagman isn't helping Cedric, and it doesn't seem fair. This is a competition, after all.
- Rita Skeeter comes in.
- She greets Harry, who immediately says, "What did you do that to Hagrid for, eh?" (24.143).
- Hermione chimes in, calling Rita Skeeter a "horrible woman" and accusing her of doing "anything for a story" (24.150).
- Rita Skeeter calls Hermione a "silly girl" (24.151).
- Hermione storms out with Ron and Harry.
- She drags them straight to Hagrid's cabin because, she says, he "isn't hiding anymore" (24.157).
- Hermione knocks violently on Hagrid's door, and Professor Dumbledore opens it.
- Professor Dumbledore points out that Harry, Ron, and Hermione still like Hagrid and want him to come back.
- In fact, Professor Dumbledore has been getting "letters from the countless parents who remember [Hagrid] from their own days here" (24.177).
- They love Hagrid and want him to stay.
- Hagrid can't just leave his job for those few people who want him to go.
- Hermione pleads, "Come back and teach, Hagrid [...] please come back, we really miss you" (24.183).
- Hagrid is weeping.
- After Professor Dumbledore leaves, Hagrid shows the trio a picture of his father.
- Hagrid is so grateful to Professor Dumbledore for sticking by him after his father died.
- And Hagrid is so proud of Harry (who has Muggle relatives) for being a total champion even though he's not a pureblood.
- He sobs, "Yeh know what I'd love, Harry? I'd love yeh ter win, I really would" (24.196).
- Harry feels really guilty about not having figured out the egg now.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...