Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Chapter 32 Summary
How It All Goes Down
Flesh, Blood, and Bone
- Harry lands with a bump and falls over.
- Neither Harry nor Cedric can figure out what's going on…
- So the Triwizard Cup was a Portkey – but to where?
- Harry and Cedric pull out their wands.
- A hooded figure is approaching the two of them.
- Harry's scar suddenly explodes with pain. He clenches his eyes shut and retches.
- He hears a voice say, "Kill the spare" (32.16).
- Suddenly, a Killing Curse blasts past Harry.
- When Harry opens his eyes, he sees Cedric lying dead on the ground. Oh man.
- The hooded figure is pulling Harry over to a tombstone.
- The tombstone reads: "TOM RIDDLE" (32.21).
- Harry recognizes that the hooded figure is Wormtail.
- Wormtail ties Harry to Tom Riddle's tombstone.
- Harry sees a wriggling bundle lying at the foot of the grave.
- He thinks it's a baby.
- But, nope, it's not a baby: it's something else, something horrible.
- It's "hairless and scaly-looking, a dark, raw, reddish black. Its arms and legs were thin and feeble, and its face – no child alive ever had a face like that – flat and snakelike, with gleaming red eyes" (32.34).
- Wormtail lowers this vile thing into a cauldron filled with liquid.
- Harry wishes, "Let it drown [...] please ... let it drown ..." (32.36).
- Wormtail begins a spell.
- He throws a soft powder into the cauldron: "Bone of the father, unknowingly given" (32.38).
- Then, Wormtail cuts off his own arm and throws it into the cauldron (um, what?): "Flesh – of the servant – w-willingly given – you will – revive – your master" (32.41). Pettigrew has really gone off the deep-end.
- The last ingredient for this spell is "B-blood of the enemy ... forcibly taken" (32.45).
- And that blood is Harry Potter's.
- Wormtail uses a dagger to cut the inside of Harry's arm.
- The liquid inside the cauldron turns white.
- "A surge of white steam billowed thickly from the cauldron" (32.50).
- And then, appearing in front of Harry, is the resurrected Voldemort.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...