Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Cite This Page
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Chapter 33 Summary Page 1
How It All Goes Down
The Death Eaters
- Voldemort starts checking himself out.
- Wormtail begs Voldemort to do something about his arm.
- Voldemort grabs Wormtail and turns his wand on the Dark Mark that's on Wormtail's remaining forearm.
- The mark goes black.
- Voldemort wonders, "How many will be brave enough to return when they feel it? [...] And how many will be foolish enough to stay away?" (33.14).
- Voldemort apparently likes to hear himself talk: he starts pacing around and telling Harry about his father.
- Voldemort's father, Tom Riddle, was a Muggle who hated magic.
- He had an affair with Voldemort's mother, but when she told him that she could do magic, he abandoned her.
- She died in childbirth, and Voldemort was raised in a Muggle orphanage.
- And in misery, Voldemort "vowed to find him" and then "revenged [himself] upon him, that fool who gave [Voldemort his] name" (33.19).
- Slowly, people start appearing in the graveyard during all this.
- They're all wearing hoods and masks.
- These are Voldemort's remaining Death Eaters.
- Voldemort announces, "We are still united under the Dark Mark, then! Or are we?" (33.25).
- He wanders from Death Eater to Death Eater, wondering about their loyalty.
- At least Wormtail has paid the price for his weakness in not seeking out Voldemort earlier.
- Voldemort rewards Wormtail with "a gleaming replica of a human hand, bright as moonlight" (33.47).
- This new hand is stronger than Wormtail's original hand was.
- Wormtail whispers, "Master ... it is beautiful ... thank you ... thank you ..." (33.49).
- Voldemort addresses several of his Death Eaters: Avery, Lucius Malfoy, Crabbe, Goyle, and Nott.
- Voldemort tells them that his most faithful servant is at Hogwarts, "and it was through his efforts that [Harry] arrived here tonight" (33.73).
- Lucius Malfoy asks Voldemort how he has been reborn.
- Voldemort explains the whole story of his tie to Harry Potter.
- Because Lily Potter died an attempt to save Harry, she gave him a strong protection against Voldemort's Avada Kedavra curse.
- That's how Voldemort first managed to get destroyed thirteen years before.
- He was "ripped from [his] body, [he] was less than spirit, less than the meanest ghost ... but still, [he] was alive" (33.83).
- Voldemort wandered around "a faraway place, in a forest" (33.84), waiting for one of his faithful Death Eaters to find him.
- But the Death Eaters never came.
- (The Death Eaters seem freaked out by Voldemort's anger about that piece of it.)
- Finally, four years ago, a young wizard stumbled on Voldemort, and Voldemort possessed him.
- (This is Professor Quirrell; for more on him, check out Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.)
- Voldemort basically rode Professor Quirrell back to Hogwarts.
- But Professor Quirrell wasn't strong enough to help Voldemort, and he had to hide out as a spirit once again.
- Then, Wormtail came looking for Voldemort less than a year before.
- Wormtail had been in hiding for over a decade, but after being discovered, he came looking for Voldemort out of desperation.
- With instructions from Voldemort, Wormtail built Voldemort his temporary, weak body.
- Wormtail also brought a nosy witch from the Ministry, Bertha Jorkins, to Voldemort.
- It was from Bertha Jorkins that Voldemort found out about the Triwizard Tournament at Hogwarts.
- That's when Voldemort first began to plan to capture Harry Potter so he could perform a spell that would bring back his body permanently.
- As luck would have it, Voldemort's one faithful servant – not Wormtail – managed to get himself stationed at Hogwarts. (Who? Who?)
- This servant put Harry's name in the Goblet of Fire.
- This whole tournament has been leading up to bringing Harry to the Riddle grave to perform the spell we just saw, bringing Voldemort back to life.
- Now that Voldemort has been brought back to life using Harry's blood, Harry's mother's protection no longer works.
- So Voldemort can hurt Harry. And he does, by casting the Cruciatus Curse on him right then and there.
- Harry is in agony.
- And Voldemort has decided to prove his power "by killing [Harry], here and now, in front of [the Death Eaters], when there is no Dumbledore to help him, and no mother to die for him" (33.106).
- Voldemort tells Wormtail to untie Harry.