Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Chapter 4 Summary
How It All Goes Down
Back to the Burrow
- The next day, things at Privet Drive are tense.
- The Dursleys are waiting anxiously and angrily for the Weasley family to arrive.
- When 5:00 comes around, the Weasleys are still not there.
- Uncle Vernon uses this as an excuse to tee off on wizards: "I daresay their kind don't set much store by punctuality" (4.21).
- Suddenly, "loud bangings and scrapings" (4.25) come from the Dursleys' fireplace, which is boarded up.
- Confused voices from Ron, Mr. Weasley, and Ron's twin brothers, George and Fred, emerge from the fireplace.
- The Weasleys have tried to travel by Floo network – which is a network of fireplaces that wizards use to get around – but they can't get through the Dursleys' blocked up hearth.
- So Mr. Weasley uses magic to blast his way through the boards.
- He and his sons come through the grate to find that the Dursleys' living room is covered in soot.
- The Dursleys themselves look absolutely terrified, especially young Dudley.
- Fred and George bring Harry's trunk through the repaired fireplace.
- As Fred is hauling things, he drops a bunch of toffees on the floor.
- Ron goes through the Floo network, so it's just Harry and Mr. Weasley standing with the Dursleys.
- Uncle Vernon is barely willing to say good-bye to Harry, even though he won't see his nephew again for months.
- Aunt Petunia starts to scream.
- Dudley is hunched down, "gagging and sputtering on a foot-long, purple, slimy thing that was protruding from his mouth" (4.91). This thing is Dudley's tongue!
- Dudley's tongue has been hit by an Engorgement Charm, which makes things grow bigger.
- The Dursleys start to panic and throw things at Mr. Weasley, who's trying to help.
- Mr. Weasley tells Harry to get out – he'll sort the mess out.
- Harry travels via fireplace to the Weasley home, which is called the Burrow.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search