Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix Chapter 34 Summary
How It All Goes Down
The Department of Mysteries
- Ron can't figure out how to get on his Thestral if he can't even see it.
- Eventually, everyone manages to get their seats.
- They tell their Thestrals to take them to the Ministry of Magic.
- The Thestrals set off, moving faster than Harry has ever moved in his life.
- At last, they land on the pavement in front of the Ministry visitor's entrance.
- They rush down into the Ministry.
- Harry tries to get a few of his friends to stay behind, but they all insist on coming with him.
- They walk down into the Department of Mysteries.
- As soon as they get through the door to the Department, the circular wall of the room seems to rotate on some unknown trajectory.
- Ginny realizes that it's "to stop us knowing which door we came in through" (34.59).
- So, they don't know how to get out of this room now that they've gotten in.
- Harry tries a door at random.
- It's got jars full of softly glowing brains in it.
- They try another door.
- It's larger than the last room, and it contains only one thing: "Unsupported by any surrounding wall, the archway was hung with a tattered black curtain or veil which, despite the complete stillness of the cold surrounding air, was fluttering very slightly as though it had just been touched" (34.85).
- Harry moves towards the archway.
- He is attracted by the sound of voices from beyond the veil.
- No one else can hear these voices except for Luna Lovegood.
- Harry almost moves through the archway, but Hermione grabs his arm and shouts, "Harry, we are supposed to be here for Sirius!" (34.103).
- Harry nods and leaves the room.
- The next door they try is locked.
- Harry uses Sirius's knife to try and open the lock.
- But the knife melts in the door.
- Hermione tells them, "Right, we're leaving that room" (34.117).
- They try the next door.
- Harry recognizes the long corridor on the other side of the door at once.
- His heart pumps with adrenaline as he walks down the hallway.
- Harry goes through the doorway at the end, which leads to the giant room full of glass baubles.
- He finds row 97, the row from his dream.
- Harry keeps expecting to find Sirius at any moment.
- But even in row 97, there is no sign of Sirius, or of any kind of struggle.
- What they do find is a label under "one of the small glass spheres that glowed with a dull inner light, though it was very dusty and appeared not to have been touched for many years" (34.164).
- The label says, "S.P.T. to A.P.W.B.D. Dark Lord and (?)Harry Potter" (34.166).
- Slowly, Harry takes the glass sphere from its shelf.
- A voice from behind him says, "Very good, Potter. Now turn around, nice and slowly, and give that to me" (34.177).
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Here Be Monsters! An Adventure Involving Magic, Trolls, and Other Creatures; The Ratbridge Chronicles Volume 1 - Learning Guide
Noodle's College Search