Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Cite This Page
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix Chapter 35 Summary Page 1
How It All Goes Down
Beyond the Veil
- The voice belongs to Lucius Malfoy.
- The way out of the room is blocked by a ring of Death Eaters.
- Malfoy wants the prophecy.
- A woman standing to Malfoy's left – Bellatrix Lestrange – laughs at Harry for thinking that Sirius is at the Department of Mysteries.
- Harry's dream wasn't true.
- Malfoy wants the prophecy, which gives Harry some protection. The Death Eaters can't just attack him without risking shattering the glass ball.
- So, Bellatrix suggests that they torture Ginny to make Harry give up his prophecy.
- Harry promises that, if they hurt his friends, he'll shatter the prophecy.
- Bellatrix tells Harry to shut up – how dare he speak Voldemort's name?
- Harry tells Bellatrix Voldemort is "a half blood, too [...] Yeah, his mother was a witch but his dad was a Muggle – or has he been telling you lot he's pure-blood?" (35.43).
- Bellatrix is so outraged that she tries to stun Harry, but Malfoy deflects the spell.
- It hits one of the shelves and shatters some of the glass balls.
- Ghostly figures rise up speaking from the glass balls.
- Harry gets an idea.
- Harry tries to stall Malfoy and the rest of the Death Eaters.
- Malfoy suddenly says something that catches Harry's attention: apparently, the reason for Voldemort's attack on Harry can be found in the glass ball Harry holds.
- Harry puts together that Bode and Sturgis Podmore were trying to get this glass ball, but they failed.
- Harry wants to know why Voldemort needs Harry to get it.
- Bellatrix laughs, "The Dark Lord, walk into the Ministry of Magic, when they are so sweetly ignoring his return? The Dark Lord, reveal himself to the Aurors, when at the moment they are wasting their time on my dear cousin?" (35.71).
- In the middle of this talking back and forth, Harry suddenly shouts, "NOW!" (35.74).
- His friends all aim for the glass shelves filled with prophecies.
- Amid the shattering glass and the sounds of voices, they run for the door.
- Somehow, Harry, Ginny, Hermione, and Neville get separated from Ron and Luna.
- They sneak through the Department of Mysteries, trying to avoid the Death Eaters.
- Harry surprises a Death Eater with a Stunning spell before another Death Eater tries to cast Avada Kedavra (the Killing Curse) on Hermione.
- Neville casts a Disarming Spell that hits both Harry and the Death Eater, sending Harry's wand back in the direction of the Hall of Prophecy.
- Hermione casts Stupefy on the Death Eater, and he stumbles into the large crystal bell jar near the Hall of Prophecy.
- Inside the bell jar, his head suddenly starts to shrink rapidly, until it's the head of a baby.
- He ages back to adulthood and then returns to babyhood a second time.
- By the time he gets the bell jar off, he is left with the head of a baby on an adult's body.
- One of the Death Eaters manages to surprise Harry and his friends with an Impedimenta curse, but they throw it off and fight back.
- Antonin Dolohov, one of the Death Eaters who escaped Azkaban, tears off his mask and reveals his face.
- He casts a spell on Hermione that knocks her right out.
- Dolohov promises that, if Harry gives him the prophecy, he'll let them go free.
- Neville, bleeding from a clearly broken nose, shouts, "Whaddever you do, Harry [...] don't gib it to him!" (35.134).
- Harry casts Petrificus Totalis – the Binding Spell – on Dolohov.
- Neville and Harry check Hermione, and she's still alive.
- Neville picks up Hermione and Harry keeps his wand at the ready as they go searching for their friends.
- A door springs open and three people come through it: it's Ginny, Ron, and Luna.
- Ginny's ankle is broken.
- And something has definitely gone wrong with Ron: he's babbling and there's a bit of dark liquid dripping from his mouth.
- He giggles, "Harry [...] you know who this girl is, harry? She's Loony ... Loony Lovegood ... ha ha ha" (35.174).
- Luna helps Ginny walk while Harry supports Ron.
- But before they get much further, Bellatrix bursts in and shouts, "There they are!" (35.179).
- They try to run and seal the door behind them, but five Death Eaters manage to get through and knock out Luna.
- Ron keeps giggling. He notices that they are in the room full of brains, and he chuckles, "Honest, Harry, they're brains – look – Accio brain!" (35.194).
- The brain sends out tentacles that wrap around Ron's chest and start hurting him.
- Harry tries to help Ron, but he can't get the brain to let go.
- Harry decides to distract the Death Eaters by holding the prophecy above his head and streaking out of the room.
- He goes through a door and falls down a staircase into a stone pit.
- It's the room with the empty archway standing in it.
- The Death Eaters gather around Harry.
- Malfoy says, "Potter, your race is run [...] now hand me the prophecy like a good boy!" (35.210).
- Neville follows Harry and tries to fight.
- Bellatrix grins evilly: "Longbottom? [...] Why, I have had the pleasure of meeting your parents, boy" (35.220).
- Bellatrix decides to torture Neville with Crucio until Harry agrees to give up the prophecy.
- Bellatrix casts Crucio on Neville.
- Just then, members of the Order of the Phoenix sprint into the room: Lupin, Sirius, Moody, Tonks, and Kingsley.
- Harry crawls over to reach Neville, trying to stay out of the way of the spells exchanged between the Death Eaters and Order members.
- Macnair, a Death Eater, tackles Harry and demands that he give up the prophecy.
- Neville Stuns him.
- Harry sees Dolohov bearing down on him.
- Dolohov casts Tarantallegra on Neville so that he can no longer control his legs.
- Harry manages to cast a Shield Spell before Stunning Dolohov.
- Sirius shouts, "Harry, take the prophecy, grab Neville, and run!" (35.251).
- Harry pulls Neville's arm over his shoulder, but Malfoy gets to him before he can leave.
- Harry drops the prophecy.
- Harry casts Impedimenta on Malfoy and Neville manages to catch the prophecy before it shatters.
- But then a spell hits the stone bench they're hiding behind, and the prophecy falls and breaks.
- The ghostly figure inside tells its prophecy without either Harry or Neville able to hear it.
- Neville points to the doorway and shouts, "Dubbledore!" (35.265).
- Dumbledore is there! Harry thinks they're all saved.
- Only one pair is still fighting: Sirius and Bellatrix.
- Sirius is laughing at Bellatrix as he dodges her spell.
- But a second spell hits him in the center of the chest, and Sirius falls backwards through the empty archway.
- He disappears.
- Harry runs to reach through the archway, but Lupin holds Harry back.
- Lupin tells Harry, "There's nothing you can do [...] nothing ... he's gone" (35.286).