Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
by J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix Chapter 7 Summary
How It All Goes Down
The Ministry of Magic
- Harry wakes up at five thirty the next morning.
- A lot of people are waiting for him in the kitchen: Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Sirius, Lupin, and Tonks.
- Harry starts in on breakfast.
- Mr. Weasley informs Harry of the details: "The hearing's on my floor, in Amelia Bones's office. She's Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, and the one who'll be questioning you" (7.21).
- Sirius warns Harry, "Don't lose your temper [...] Be polite and stick to the facts" (7.24).
- Everyone wishes Harry luck, and he and Mr. Weasley start walking to the Ministry.
- As they enter the building, they walk past an enormous fountain. There is a sign: "ALL PROCEEDS FROM THE FOUNTAIN OF MAGICAL BRETHREN WILL BE GIVEN TO ST. MUNGO'S HOSPITAL FOR MAGICAL MALADIES AND INJURIES" (7.68). Harry swears that, if he is not expelled, he'll donate money.
- Mr. Weasley works in the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts Office.
- Mr. Weasley heads past a number of colleagues and friends, including Kingsley Shacklebot, on his way to his office where he and Harry will wait for the hearing.
- Mr. Weasley's colleague Perkins runs into the office panting.
- He's been trying to track down Mr. Weasley to tell him that "the Potter boy's hearing" has been changed. Now, it is at 8:00 in Courtroom Ten.
- So, Harry is already late!
- Mr. Weasley drags Harry downstairs.
- Mr. Weasley comments angrily, "Those courtrooms haven't been used in years!" (7.139).
- Finally, they reach the right room.
- Mr. Weasley wishes Harry luck — he is not allowed to accompany Harry to his hearing.
- So, Harry turns "the heavy iron door handle and stepped inside the courtroom" (7.155).
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...