Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Chapter 3 Summary
How It All Goes Down
Will and Won't
- We find Harry sound asleep on a summer evening.
- His room at Privet Drive is strewn with all of his belongings.
- An article in the Daily Prophet, which lies on Harry's desk, speculates dramatically as to whether Harry is "the Chosen One," having been the only victim ever to survive Voldemort's Killing Curse.
- Another article in the Daily Prophet reports on Rufus Scrimgeour's new appointment as Minister of Magic. The article suggests there is already strife and discord between Scrimgeour and Dumbledore.
- Yet another article tells of the tightened security measures the Ministry of Magic will be enforcing at Hogwarts this year.
- On the floor of Harry's room, there lies an instructional pamphlet from the Ministry of Magic: "Protecting Your Home And Family Against Dark Forces."
- A letter from Dumbledore sits next to Harry's alarm clock. It tells Harry that Dumbledore will be picking him up on Friday evening to escort him to the Burrow (the Weasleys' home), where he will spend the remainder of his summer vacation.
- When Dumbledore arrives that night, the Dursleys are spellbound and fearful.
- Harry notices that Dumbledore's wand hand is black and dead looking.
- Dumbledore informs Harry that he has inherited his godfather's house, possessions, money, and house elf, Kreacher.
- Dumbledore also tells the Dursleys that when Harry turns seventeen in a year's time, he will no longer need to live with them and will be considered an adult. As a child, he has been magically protected in their home. Dumbledore asks the family to continue to allow Harry to return to their home once more before he turns seventeen.
- Dumbledore is none too pleased about the way in which the Dursleys have treated Harry, and he lets them know this.
- Harry and Dumbledore leave the Dursleys'.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...
Noodle's College Search