Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Chapter 6 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- As the Weasleys, Hermione, and Harry travel to Diagon Alley to get outfitted for the school year, they find that it has changed drastically. Lots of shops have closed, and there are Ministry warnings and instructions posted everywhere.
- They've also been escorted to Diagon Alley by Ministry officials in order to ensure Harry's safety. Once they reach Diagon Alley, Hagrid takes over as their bodyguard.
- Looking for new robes at Madam Malkin's, Harry, Ron, and Hermione run into Draco Malfoy and his mom, Narcissa.
- Draco is being fitted for a new robe, and jumps when Madam Malkin touches his left arm.
- After a bitter verbal fight, during which wands are drawn, Narcissa and Draco leave, saying they'd rather not shop at a place where people like Hermione shop (Hermione is Muggle-born).
- This really frosts Harry's cookie.
- Next, Harry, Ron, and Hermione visit Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes, Fred and George's new joke shop. Despite the hard times and the empty Diagon Alley, the joke shop is packed with customers. It's doing very good business.
- Harry, Ron, and Hermione have all kinds of fun browsing through the store. Hermione sees a love potion that looks interesting, and Harry is shown a special line of defense items that the Ministry has been buying up, including a shield charm.
(Click the map infographic to download.)
- Harry sees Draco Malfoy walk by the shop, looking extra suspicious. He's clearly bailed on his mom.
- Using his Invisibility Cloak, Harry, Ron, and Hermione chase after Draco.
- They find that he is going to Borgin and Burkes on Knockturn Alley, a sketchy specialty store that buys and sells precious antiques and interesting objects.
- They try to figure out what Draco is buying or selling, but they can't.
- Once Draco leaves, Hermione enters the store in the hopes of persuading the owner to tell her what item Draco had been interested in.
- Mr. Borgin knows she's up to something and doesn't spill the beans.
- The three return to the Weasleys at the joke shop.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...