Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
by J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Chapter 8 Summary
How It All Goes Down
- Unable to shout or move, Harry worries that no one will find him frozen on the floor of the Slytherin compartment in the Hogwarts Express.
- Fortunately, Tonks comes to his rescue. She undoes Malfoy's magic and fixes Harry's broken nose.
- Tonks is now stationed at Hogsmeade with some other Aurors to provide extra security at Hogwarts.
- At the gates of Hogwarts, Harry expects to be met by a grumpy Filch, but instead he finds a sneering Snape.
- Snape escorts Harry to the Great Hall, making obnoxious comments the whole way.
- Over dinner in the Great Hall, much to Harry's annoyance, people begin asking him about his Chosen One status – it's everyone's favorite subject.
- During Dumbledore's welcoming speech, he tells the students about the new security measures that have been taken to protect Hogwarts students. There are new rules in place this year as well to ensure that everyone stays safe.
- Dumbledore also announces that Slughorn will teach Potions and Snape will teach Defense Against the Dark Arts this year. Harry is horrified that his favorite subject will now be taught by Snape.
- Hagrid greets Harry and Ron, and tells them that Dumbledore has made a nice home in the mountains for his giant brother, Grawp.
- Harry, Ron, and Hermione are seized with huge guilt, because neither of them will be taking Hagrid's Care of Magical Creatures class this year, and neither of them has informed Hagrid of this yet. They know he will be very sad and hurt once he finds out.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...