Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Theme of Lies and Deceit
Magic has much to do with deception and with deceiving those around you. Consider Harry's invisibility cloak, the Marauder's Map, and his Muffliato spell. Magic allows for manipulation of people and events. However, in Book 6, we begin to see different kinds of deception and dishonesty. Harry and his friends learn that magic must be practiced with integrity, honesty, and compassion for any good to come about.
Questions About Lies and Deceit
- Who lies to whom in this story?
- Is Harry being dishonest in not telling Slughorn that his Potions book is special?
- Is Hermione ever dishonest?
- What does truth mean in the world of this story?
- Magic seems to have a lot to do with deception. What does "deception" mean in the world of this story?
- In Book 6, does deception ever have positive results, or is it always a bad thing?