Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Theme of Mortality
Death is a huge focal point of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, for in it we lose the greatest wizard of the Wizarding community, Dumbledore. We are reminded that even magic is no match for death. Death, we come to find, is also the thing that Voldemort fears most, causing him to stop at nothing in the quest for immortality. He pushes the boundaries of magic in order to seek this ultimate power, but can he escape death?
Questions About Mortality
- Who dies in this story?
- What does immortality mean to Voldemort?
- How does Voldemort plan to become immortal?
- Can magic prevent death?
- Did Dumbledore know he was going to die?
- Why do you think Rowling decided to have Dumbledore die?
- After Dumbledore dies and Harry chases Snape, why doesn't Snape kill Harry?