Jake Blount Timeline and Summary
- Jake arrives in town and goes on a drinking bender, running up a huge tab at the New York Café.
- One night, he drags Doctor Copeland into the Café against his will, spouts off Communist ideas, befriends Singer, and gets into a brawl. Quite a night.
- He crashes at Singer's place and is stunned to learn the next day that Singer is deaf and mute.
- Jake lands a job as a mechanic at the Sunny Dixie Show.
- He tries to stop drinking, without much success.
- Then he tries to spread the socialist word in town, also with limited success. Not a great run for this guy. (As goes the whole novel…)
- Jake meets Simms, a crazy itinerant preacher, with whom he often argues.
- When he finds out what happened to Willie, Jake is compelled to action.
- He has a long conversation about politics with Doctor Copeland, but he ends up storming out after the argument heats up.
- After a deadly riot at the Sunny Dixie Show, Jake leaves town. Where do you think he's headed?