The Heart is a Lonely Hunter
by Carson McCullers
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter Part 2: Chapter 15 Summary
- It's time for Singer to visit Antonapoulos once again. This time he brings lots of food for his gift this time. Sounds delish.
- On the train, Singer thinks of all his visitors and gets kind of anxious: he doesn't understand what these people want from him.
- But when Singer thinks of his friend, he calms down. His friend is always with him in his mind now.
- After arriving at the asylum, he's unable to find Antonapoulos, and he starts to panic.
- He asks for help and finally someone tells him the news: Antonapoulos is dead.
- (Moment of silence.)
- Singer returns to his hotel in shock.
- As a tribute to his dearly departed friend, Singer pitches a fit at the hotel and steals everything that isn't bolted down from his room.
- He spends the afternoon waiting for the train back home. During his wandering, he sees three mutes talking together via sign language at a local restaurant.
- Singer approaches them and introduces himself, but he's so out of sorts that he doesn't join in their conversation, and the three think he's a weirdo. They leave and definitely don't invite him along.
- Singer takes the train home and eats some fruit from the fruit basket he'd brought with him.
- After arriving home, he leaves his luggage at the station, goes to the jewelry shop, and then returns home. He drinks some coffee and smokes a cigarette.
- Then, he pulls a pistol from his pocket and shoots himself in the heart.
- It's okay to cry.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...