The Heart is a Lonely Hunter Part 3: Chapter 1 Summary
- It's August 23, 1939 – the first date we've gotten in the novel.
- Hitler is going to invade Poland in a few days (September 1) and World War II is going to start .
- But meanwhile, Doctor Copeland is packing up his house. He's going to Grandpapa's farm along with Willie, so that he can rest and be cared for full-time.
- Copeland's health is too bad for him to work now, and he's likely going to die soon. (In case things were getting too uplifting for you.)
- Copeland is in denial and can't believe that this is the end of the life he's built for himself.
- Singer's suicide has left Copeland hopelessly confused and upset.
- He takes one last look around his house and then heads outside: he's going to ride in the wagon with Grandpapa. The Copeland family then heads out and leaves the town behind.
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...